North Sea – Basin Modelling
We were selected by our client to analyse the potential for hydrocarbon charge from Jurassic source rocks to de-risk the charge model ahead of a decision on drilling.
Detailed charge modelling and migration pathway analysis was undertaken to:
- Define location of generative source kitchen
- Determine the volumes of hydrocarbons (oil and gas) generated within source kitchens
- Calculate generation and expulsion volumes
- Determine timing and expulsion efficiency
- Assess migration routes into the prospect area
The work concluded that hydrocarbons had been expelled in large volumes along direct migration pathways to the prospect, significantly de-risking charge.
The modelling was a key factor in the sanction of drilling by the joint venture which resulted in the discovery of a major oil field. Subsequent oil discoveries in the region have also been located on migration paths mapped by the team.